The 2018 Volunteer Management Progress Report (VMPR) is full of insights about volunteer leadership and management.
Now in its third year, the VMPR is the only tool that explores global trends and issues that leaders and managers of volunteers face.
The four most striking findings from the 2018 report are:
- The satisfaction of Volunteer Managers and their intent to stay in the profession directly relates to how engaged their co-workers are in supporting volunteer engagement.
- Those who lead and manage volunteers are spending less time doing so, often because they have other responsibilities beyond their volunteer management duties.
- Almost 10% of respondents have no budget for volunteer management and 21% don’t know if they have such a budget!
- Diversity is an issue, both amongst those who lead and manage volunteers and amongst volunteers.
”Volunteer Retention is a Challenge on the Rise – Anecdotally, leaders of volunteers increasingly note the challenge of maintaining volunteer involvement over longer periods of time and point out that volunteers increasingly appear to prefer short-term, episodic assignments.”
According to the report, the top five challenges leaders of volunteers face are:
- Recruitment: Finding enough volunteers & the right volunteers for specific roles
- Respect and “Buy-In”: Lack of executive support /understanding & co-worker resistance to volunteer involvement
- Retention: Fulfilling commitments to service & volunteers “aging out”
- Roles & Matching: Designing impactful roles & meeting volunteer interests
- Time: Splitting time between competing priorities & not enough paid staff
If the findings and challenges from VMPR 2018 ring true for you then we can help.
How we can help you
Since 2011, Rob Jackson Consulting Ltd have been engaging and inspiring people to bring about change, delivering expert support that is passionate about the potential of people. Our consultancy and training services are aimed at helping you give people a great volunteer experience, make the most of the valuable time they give you and, above all, achieve your goals.
We have training courses and workshops directly related to the top challenges from VMPR 2018. Here are just five examples:
- ‘Understanding and Engaging 21st Century Volunteers’ will help you recruit and retain volunteers in our ever-changing world
- ‘From The Top Down for Volunteer Managers’ will help you influence peers and senior managers to lobby effectively for volunteer engagement
- ’Developing Meaningful Roles For Volunteers’ will help you create great volunteer roles that will attract and keep volunteers
- ‘Time and Productivity Management for Volunteer Managers’ will help you manage yourself and your work for maximum impact
- ‘Measuring Volunteering’ will help you build a case for more support as well as provide more meaningful recognition to your volunteers
Learn more and get in touch
For more details download a copy of our training information, testimonials and rates or get in touch to discuss your needs and how we can help through our consulting services. We’d love to hear from you and help you reach even greater success in delivering roles that make a difference for your volunteers, your organisation and it’s clients.